Social media channels like Facebook, Twitter and MySpace are valuable marketing tools for charities as well as businesses. Facebook has gone a step further and allows its fan page users to post a donation button on their fan pages. The button is created through a Facebook application. This application will secure the money and send it to the charity at the end of the month. In order to set up a donation button, you will need to have a recognized charity name and a Facebook fan page. This article will tell you how to add a donation button to Facebook.
- Create your Facebook fan page if you have not already done so. Scroll down to the bottom of your newsfeed and click “Create a Page”.
- If you are not logged in, go to the Facebook home page. You should see a “Sign Up” section that allows you to create a profile.
- Click on the link below the green “Sign Up” button that says “Create a Page for a celebrity, band or business.” Follow the screen prompts to create your page. The “Cause or Community” or “Company, Organization or Institution” pages should be used for a charity fan page.
- Add more administrators if you would like someone else to be able to edit your fan page and donation button.
Find the Donation Button Application powered by First Giving. If you are having trouble finding it through a Facebook search, you can open a new tab in your browser, search for a donation button application and click on “Donation Button Creator|Facebook” in your search results.
Choose “Go to App” on the Facebook Button Creator application page.
Type in the name of your charity or organization. Results will pop up below the text box. Click on your charity name when it appears on the list.
Click on the “Install on Facebook Page” button on your charity page. A list of your Facebook pages will appear. Choose the fan page where you want to install the donation button by clicking the “Install on Fan Page” button to the right of your page’s profile picture.
Click the “Add Donation Button Creator” button. Facebook is asking for permission to give the Donation Button Creator access to your page. Since you are aware that you will be using it, you want to add the application to your page.
Find the “Donate” button that should now appear on the left side of your page in the list along with “Wall” and “Photos.”
Click on the “Donate” button. The page that loads will have a “Edit Donate Settings.” You can use this button to change the charity or other aspects of the donation. Only the fan page administrator will have this option.
- In the Edit Donate Settings you can change the Donate button text. For example, it could say “Support our Charity” rather than “Donate.”