- As a beverage choice, ask for water or order fat-free or low-fat milk, unsweetened tea, or other drinks without added sugars.
- Ask for whole-wheat bread for sandwiches.
- In a restaurant, start your meal with a salad packed with veggies, to help control hunger and feel satisfied sooner.
- Ask for salad dressing to be served on the side. Then use only as much as you want.
- Choose main dishes that include vegetables, such as stir fries, kebobs, or pasta with a tomato sauce.
- Order steamed, grilled, or broiled dishes instead of those that are fried or sautéed.
- Choose a small” or “medium” portion. This includes main dishes, side dishes, and beverages.
- Order an item from the menu instead heading for the “all-you-can-eat” buffet.
- If main portions at a restaurant are larger than you want, try one of these strategies to keep from overeating:
- Order an appetizer-sized portion or a side dish instead of an entrée.
- Share a main dish with a friend.
- If you can chill the extra food right away, take leftovers home in a “doggy bag.”
- When your food is delivered, set aside or pack half of it to go immediately.
- Resign from the “clean your plate club” – when you’ve eaten enough, leave the rest.
- To keep your meal moderate in calories, fat, and sugars:
- Ask for salad dressing to be served “on the side” so you can add only as much as you want.
- Order foods that do not have creamy sauces or gravies
- Add little or no butter to your food.
- Choose fruits for dessert most often.
- On long commutes or shopping trips, pack some fresh fruit, cut-up vegetables, low-fat string cheese sticks, or a handful of unsalted nuts to help you avoid stopping for sweet or fatty snacks.
Other posts you should consider reading:
Best tips for healthy cooking
At the Store
Choose lean cuts of meat such as beef round, loin, sirloin, pork loin chops, and roasts. All cuts with the name "loin," or "round," are lean. "S ...
Eating tips for pregnant women
Making smart food choices can help you have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby.
Don’t forget breakfast.
Try fortified ready-to-eat or cooked breakf ...
Healthy eating during pregnancy
Don’t forget breakfast.
Try fortified ready-to-eat or cooked breakfast cereals with fruit. Fortified cereals have added nutrients, like iron or calcium.
Good restaurants around University of Berkley
Here are some great restaurants around U of Berkley.
Vik's Chaat - I sometimes call Vik's the In N' Out of Indian Food -- definitely a little overrated, but no ...
What’s So Great About Slow Cooking Anyway?
As I walked through the grocery store aisles a few weeks ago, I noticed the increase in prepackaged slow cooker meals. I’ve been using my slow cooker and reaping the ...
Schedules for baby feeding
When you bring your new baby home, you already know you are in for a lot of sleepless nights. Until a baby is twelve or more pounds, they are going to need nightt ...
How to resist eating at night
The temptation to eat at night is not an easy one. People often like to eat when they are bored and not just when they are hungry. Here are some tips to avoiding ea ...
Grilling Tips For The "Dog Days" Of Summer
Grilling is going to the dogs. According to the Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association, 81 percent of Americans own a grill and average grill usage is up to 26 time ...
Why people smoke after eating
I noticed on numerous occasions that my cousin and also my other cousins husband both smoke after eating. When I asked one of them why they smoked right away aft ...
What is Natural skin care?
Put simply, ‘natural skin care’ is caring for your skin in a natural and chemical-free way. ‘Natural skin care’ advocates enabling the skin to take care of itself ( ...