In the world we live in today, computers and smart phones form an integral part of our day to day activities. We use them to interact, keep in touch, to learn and also to work.
It is therefore important that whatever operating system your device runs on is protected from malware or viruses. There is a wide range of anti-virus products available in the market, but how do you pick the best one for your OS? Some malware actually disguises itself as anti-virus software, so you have to be careful when making a decision to buy.
To help you make an informed decision, we have put together a list of recommended antivirus products for different operating systems.
Top-rated Anti-virus Software for Windows OS
The Windows OS is still very popular all over the world. Despite the growing competition, it is still the number one choice for schools, hospitals and other forms of businesses. These are our top two recommendations for windows OS protection against malware.
Norton Anti-virus Basic
Norton is arguably the best anti-virus software for the Windows OS currently. It has been consistently providing great products, and this particular one boasts of features such as;
- A streamlined setup process that gets you up and running quite fast.
- It has minimal effect on the performance.
- It keeps you safe online by the use of browser extensions.
- It keeps out latest threats by use of real-time updates.
However, just like any other great product, it has flaws like;
- Cost. It is relatively pricey.
- It is also flaky, you can’t rely on it 100%.
The main features of this software are;
- Detects latest threats with real-time updates.
- Parental control options for your PC.
- Includes secure password management.
Top-rated Anti-virus Software for Mac
Traditionally, Mac users were thought to make a small percentage in the technology sector. This has however changed as the numbers are growing every day. Our top two recommendations for malware protection in this category are,
Malware Bytes Premium
This product boasts of the following features;
- Active checks while browsing and verification of links and emails.
- Malware and viruses are quickly detected and removed.
- It blocks malicious websites and invasive pop-ups.
The downside of this software is that it cannot cure infected file objects. It also cannot detect archived viruses.
Panda Internet Security
This is a relatively new entrant in the category of anti-virus software. However, it has really challenged the ‘old-timers’ in the category with their new anti-virus software.
The salient features of this product include;
- Blocking of malware and ransomware with strong firewalls.
- Latest threats are targeted with regular updates.
- Top-notch quality data protection.
- Functions that protect identity, taking care of the very real threat of cybercrime.
- Phone support that is rated as good.
The biggest downside is that it scans slowly and is internet dependent.
The importance of having good anti-virus software cannot be over-emphasized. Therefore, the information above should arm you with vital tidbits to help you make a decision on the type of malware protection to buy.