1st person: It’s a beautiful day!
2nd person: Yes, it is a beautiful day!
This is a small talk and this is terrible. This is one of the most awkward things that people don’t really like and it is certainly the most boring task that a lot of people go through. The major problem in the small talk is that the connection is missing. This connection is very important to have a smart and meaningful conversation. These smart conversations are important to win the hearts, to motivate people and to inform as a leader. 6 Tips to turn small talk into meaningful talk are listed below:
- Choose a topic you’re both interested in: Making the conversation all about yourself and being self-centered is not good at all. Things to discuss will automatically come if there is a common topic of interest. Avoiding sensitive issues like racial, religious and political issues. These often can lead to tense and awkward situation.
- Make it interesting: Avoiding yes/no type questions is must for having a smart conversation. These questions always lead to a boring conversation.
- Get off your Smartphone: Fixating your phone every time having a conversation is always a rude gesture. Another person is not able to get your full attention and lost his/her interest in the conversation. Smartphone make people feel more isolated and they lose their ability to deeper, more spontaneous and meaningful conversation.
- Avoid complaining: Nothing to say is rather good than talking negative if you don’t have a positive response to the conversation. If one starts complaining about the other person with whom having a conversation, it often puts negative impact and automatically there is no upbeat in the conversation after that.
- Ask relevant questions: In order to get to a point where you’re having a real meaningful conversation, you should have a good idea of what’s going on that you can use as the information to ask the right kinds of questions that should be relevant to the topic you have selected.
- Be Curious and Confident: Body language and eye contact is very important to build up the interest in the conversation. The other person can sense the confidence if these aspects are kept in mind. Other person should be given enough time to talk and listen. Being curious is also important to learn more about the other person. By knowing more you will automatically think of questions relevant for the conversation to move ahead.