Hindi fonts are usually missing from any freshly installed Windows-based laptop. Some of them have Hindi fonts installed straight out of the box. When they are missing it can be useful to know how to install Hindi font on your laptop. Luckily, it is not that complicated to do.
There are two main ways this can be done. Windows, as an operating system, can have additional languages installed at any given time which adds Hindi fonts. The second way is to just install Hindi fonts. However, having just the Hindi fonts installed does not mean you can type using a Hindi font. It just allows you to read text written in Hindi. Here is how you can do it.
Installing Hindi Language Pack in Windows 10
- Hold the Windows key and press “I”. A new window will appear. Hit the “Time & Language” button on the right side of the window.
- A set of new options will appear. There will be a menu on the right side, placed vertically. Hit the “Language” button.
- Another new set of options will show. There should be a large grey plus sign. Press it and a new window will pop on top.
- In the search box where it says “Type a language name…” type Hindi. You will see one option showing. Click it then hit the “Next” button.
- Click the “Options” button that will appear at the bottom right in the new window. Hit “Download” and install Hindi Speech. Do not close the window. Hit the plus sign and “Add a keyboard”. From the list of languages select Hindi (India) – Devanagari – Inscript keyboard.
- Restart your computer. Following the restart, you will have the option to switch between languages by hitting the small icon next to your date and time in the Windows bar and select your desired keyboard language.
Installing Hindi Fonts From Google Fonts
- Go to https://fonts.google.com/?subset=devanagari
- Select the font you would like installed from the homepage under the language selection section.
- Click on the font and download it by hitting the red arrow pointing down in the top right corner of the window. Save the font to your desired folder.
- Go to the download folder, right-click on the font file and click “Install”.
There are other ways to get Hindi fonts installed. To just get the fonts and not the entire Windows 10 language pack installed, you just need to Google for some font sites. The only downside is that these websites may be cluttered with ads, may not be secure, or might not have Hindi at all. The best bet is to use the free fonts offered directly by Google or install Hindi language support directly in Windows 10. Both options are quite easy and do not require any technical skills to do.
Lastly, keep in mind that some Hindi websites may use custom fonts and if you do not have those particular fonts installed, they might not display right. Also, if you plan to use Hindi fonts in productivity applications such as Microsoft Office, you might want to install the Hindi dictionary as well.